The Venice Carnival chooses its Maria. After 10 days of catwalks, dances, meetings, dinners, parties and shootings the 12 young metropolitan ladies are ready to experience the final act of the competition, the most eagerly awaited.
On Monday February 20 at 8pm, the Gran Galà in the Sale Apollinee of the La Fenice Theatre where, traditionally, the same jury that on friday February 3 chose the 12 Marias, will also vote to elect the Maria of the Year 2023. An evening presented by Linda Pani (Maria of the Year 2019) and by Principe Maurice the master of ceremonies who this year celebrates its 24th edition after the relaunched of the event by Bruno Tosi in 1999.
Giovanni Giusto, delegate for the Protection of Tradition and Ermelinda Damiano, president of the municipal Council will join the Gala.
The Maria elected in 2022 will also join the Gala, handing over the crown.
“The last 10 days were very intense – said Maria Grazia Bortolato, patron of the competition – This has always been a very hectic time although clearly wonderful, especially for the girls. They danced, cooked, ate, drew and visited beautiful historical places that represent the heart of Venice. Now, the final act. Clearly just one Maria will win but for me, they will remain Marias forever. I would like to thank everyone who has hosted us and everyone who made it possible to realize a perfect edition of this competition”.
The jury that will chose the Maria of the 2023 will be chaired by the artistic director Massimo Checchetto and will include: Roberto Papetti (director of the Gazzettino), Marco Vidal (Ceo of the The Merchant of Venice), Claudio Vernier (president of the association Piazza San Marco), Giovanni Giusto (delegate for the Protection of Traditions), Gloria Rogliani (multiple champion of Venetian rowing), Claudia Marchiori (actress and Maria of the 2016), Cristina Scarpa (events director at the Scuola Grande San Giovanni Evangelista), Giulia Seguso (of Seguso art glass), Francesco Briggi (owner of the Atelier Pietro Longhi), Francesca Pederoda ( marketing) and Paolo Polato (national Adusbef board member).
Let’s find out who are these 12 girls form the metropolitan city, dreaming of becoming the new Maria of the 2023:
• Giulia Polselli, 18 years from Oriago, student
• Elisa Bermani, 27 years from Venezia, teacher
• Sara Barbiero, 27 years from Spinea, nurse
• Agata Scarpa, 24 years from Chirignago, student
• Caterina Minach, 20 years from Mestre, student
• Laura Libbi,18 years from Camponogara, student
• Lavinia Malerba, 19 years from Lido di Venezia, tour leader
• Martina Codolo, 19 years from Sant’Erasmo, student
• Beatrice Raffael, 23 years from Venezia, student
• Giulia Caramel, 24 years from Mestre, student
• Giorgia Boldrin, 19 years from Marcon, actress
• Matilde Grandesso, 20 years from Mestre, student